Why I Never Check Facebook Notifications After I Wake Up



In my last video, I talked about how your mood is determined by what you see constantly on Facebook.

In this video I am going to discuss the reason why I never check Facebook notifications soon as I wake up, and why you should also do the same.


Facebook’s algorithm is designed in such a way, it always triggers people to react.  

Think for a minute.

Facebook’s business model is based around, creating millions of social interactions that they label as “stories” on your newsfeed, and then placing advertisements in between those stories you see.


So, in order for Facebook to generate more and more stories to deliver to their users, they need to make sure that their users keep on “reacting” to the content they see on their news feed.


This is all good, I have nothing against Facebook’s algorithm. But as an individual, you have to decide how productive is it for you to spend the best part of your day, “REACTING” to someone else’s content, rather than PROACTIVELY do something beneficial for your life.


Let’s take an example.


You wake up in the morning and the first thing you do is checking your smartphone for Facebook newsfeed.

You suddenly see that a friend has posted some political post on Facebook, which is against your own personal political beliefs. 

The moment you see this post, your brain keeps on telling you to react to it.

“I disagree!” - You may start a political debate with your friend. And that debate goes on for about two-three hours of your morning, without you knowing about it.

Imagine how many negative vibes have gone through your brain during that first two hours of the day.

You will carry on that negativity to the rest of the day. 

At work, you will be more defensive of your ideas, and will always pick a fight with a colleague, taking a lead from that negative start you had to your day.

These small things, you may never notice but are making a massive impact on the way you live your life.


I used to experience this a lot for many years when I habitually went through my Facebook newsfeed the first thing I did every morning. 

Later when I realized how damaging it is for my self-improvement, I deliberately avoided Facebook within the first three hours after I woke up.


I still touch my smartphone as soon as I wake up because I still use it as an alarm clock. 

But, soon as I switch off the alarm clock, I put away the phone immediately without unlocking it. For the next 2 hours, I never check my phone for any notifications and I get on with my life routines as usual. 


This helps me to get into a rhythm where I have control of what I do during my day, and not letting some annoying person on Facebook spoil my emotions and drag me into a reactive mode for the rest of the day.

So how do you want your day to be?

Do you want it to get ruined by getting into a reactive mode by checking the Facebook feed first thing in the morning? 

Or do you want to take control of your day proactively, without letting all the negativity on social media spoil your day?

Leave a comment below, I would love to hear your side of the story.

Cheers, have a nice day!


No comments

Powered by Blogger.